Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, January 16, 2012

Getting back to normal

Its been almost 2 weeks since the girls came and life is starting to get back to normal.
Its nice to be home with my family. Shawn was home all last week which was so nice. The kids were glad for us all to be back together.
Physically I'm feeling pretty good. My incision site is still sore and sometimes burns, but I'm told that that is just the nerves starting to fire again. It hurts sometimes when I first wake up, I think maybe I sleep on it or something. I'm only taking ibuprofen for pain. The Dr gave me some norco, but I haven't needed to take any since last week. I'm still moving a little slower than normal, and bending down will sometimes hurt a little. I'm technically still on driving restrictions but I've driven a couple times. A "single" moms' gotta do what I gotta do!!
I've officially turned into a milking machine. I'm pumping for the girls. The hospital told me to try to pump 8 times a day, but no matter what I do, I can't seem to get more than 7 times a day in. I'm getting between 35-40ish oz a day. Last I heard the girls' were each eating about an oz at each feed and they're eating every 3hrs. So luckily I'm ahead of the game. I want to try to build up a stockpile, in case I can't last their whole nicu stay.
At my last OB visit which was a week before the girls were born, I'd gained a total of 18lbs, and when I walked into L&D to give birth, I was up a total of 20lbs. I've lost it all and more. I'm down 21lbs so far. Its probably from their birth and mostly from pumping. I'm drinking a TON of water (about 120oz a day) to keep my milk supply up and that's helped flush my system out. I puffed up a bit in the hospital, from all the iv fluids they gave me.
My belly is still a little poochy. I ordered an abdominal binder to try to help put everything back in its place. Maybe in another couple weeks, I'll take an "after" picture and post it. (not feeling quite that confident yet)
The girls' mom and grandma came in on Saturday. They are staying at the Ronald McDonald house. They are over the moon for their little ladies. The girls are continuing to thrive. They are slowly putting on some weight, still breathing on their own, no longer needing the billi light, have had their IV lines removed. They are unbelievably cute. They are fraternal, and already have quite different looks. They are also developing their own little personality.
I'm loving every minute of my time with my kids. Having just helped someone become a mother, makes me realize how fortunate I am to have my children. The emotional side of this whole journey is going to be a whole other post that I'm not yet ready to write.

3 comments:

  1. You are a brave and wonderful woman!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you are able to pump for them. It will be so good for their little bodies. You have done and are doing an amazing thing for the girls and their family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an umbelievable gift to be able to give. Things like this really do make up appreciate what we have.

    ReplyDelete